Facebook

Friday, July 29, 2016

Balvenie 14 yo, Caribbean Cask, 43 %

Review #324
The Caribbean Cask from Balvenie is finished in Rum wood. I don’t know how long the finish is (less than a year though), but I definitely get some sweet sugary notes in the smell. It is not overwhelming though, and I get a lot of fresh fruits. Green apples and sweet pears, but also some more tropical fruits like coconut and bananas.

The Rum influence is much more dominant in the taste. The sweet sugary flavors rushes in. The tropical fruits from the smell is now more like sour oranges. The wood really combines great with the sugars in the finish. The finish is medium long and the flavors isn’t as compact as in the first initial taste.

A fine dram, and if you like Rum, or just your whisky a bit tropical, this is for you. I think it lacks a little power, which would give it a longer and more flavorful finish with some more depth. I will give this 85/100 (21/22/22/20).

No comments:

Post a Comment