Facebook

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Oban 14 yo, 43 %

Review #392
This 14 year old is an expression from the range Classic Malts of Scotland by Diageo. Light oak and apples in the smell. It is slightly salty. I actually feel like I am standing down the harbor in Oban. Not much sweetness though. A little vanilla and burned sugar in the background.

The coastal saltiness is the first thing I notice in the taste. Great oak influence mixed with some raisins and just a wee hint of smoke. Some spices as well. Pepper indeed. Some caramel sweetness comes forward in the finish. It lies very pleasant in the mouth.

A fine dram that shows what the western Highlands can offer. Salty, rough and very light peat in the background. The 43 % is very suiting, and I took it without adding any water at first. I will give this 83/100 (20/21/21/21).

No comments:

Post a Comment