Facebook

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Kilchoman Port Cask Matured 2018, 50%

Review #698
This is the second “Port Cask Matured” from Kilchoman and 10.000 bottles were releases. White fruits and farm-like notes in the smell, alongside some fresh peat. Some vanilla and marzipan, and to be honest, I didn’t notice the Port influence at first. However, some red berries hides in the background with hints of dried fruits. It seems bit young...

The story repeats itself a bit in the taste. Again the classic Kilchoman farm-like peat, hay, vanilla and white fruits like crisp apples. The finish gets a bit sweeter and the Port influence starts to come forward. Sweetness from some fresh red fruits, mainly berries, but also a bit of raisins.

I must admit I think that the whisky haven´t been given proper time to react with the Port casks. It is very minimal what distance this from the normal Kilchoman expressions... I did enjoy it, don´t get me wrong, but don´t expect a well-aged Port-bomb. I will give tihs 83/100 (20/20/22/21).

1 comment:

  1. Every time I open this to pour a dram, I get a quick sherry nose, but it disappears at first sip.
    Where is the sherry cask? Yes, it is smooth and elegant, some vanilla, but no sultana finish. Don't get me wrong, not every 12 yr old needs to be as raisin-y as the Tomatin 12, or Arran 14, but this does not deliver what it promises. Seems more like an American or French Oak that takes up the nose. Not worth the price....the 'Fine' oak available only at North American duty-free shops would be the better option

    ReplyDelete