Facebook

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

BenRiach 8 yo (2010/2018), Hidden Spirits, 50%

Review #746
This is number 8 in ”The Young Rebels Collection”. It is matured in a first fill Bourbon cask with the cask number BH1018. Only 170 bottles were made. I could of course have read the label, but was quite surprised by the peat in the smell. Grassy vanilla peat, with some lime behind it all.

So heavily peated in the taste that it reminds me of Islay peat. Sweet sponge cake alongside the vanilla. It is this sweetness that lingers off in the finish alongside some white fruits. The peat is more heathery here, and is now more like Highland peat.

It´s a bit simple, but the balance is good. It is always a balance when you want to make a heavily peated whisky, but in this case, I think I would have sacrificed some of the peat for a bit more maturation time. Still a fine dram though. I will give this 84/100 (21/21/21/21).

No comments:

Post a Comment